Brambley Hedge Rabbit Rescue is a non-profit animal welfare group dedicated to giving a second chance at life to bunnies in need. The group has been caring for abused, abandoned and homeless domestic rabbits since 1986. They are a not-for-profit, 501(c)3, domestic rabbit rescue organization and no-kill shelter, housing more than 100 rabbits at any time.
They only accept rabbits from other rescue agencies and work hand-in-hand with the Arizona Humane Society. They also partner with the Southern Arizona Rabbit Rescue (Tucson) and the local wild rabbit rescue (AZ Fish & Game licensed).
As a charitable group, they understand the importance of the contribution of community members in achieving their goals. Interested parties are always welcome to dedicate their time and energy to the following:
- Adoptions: They need experienced volunteers to help with adoptions. Volunteers will help check references, introduce the animals, interview applicants, and make follow-up calls.
- Animal Caretaking: They need dependable volunteers to help provide for the care of the shelter animals. Duties include changing or washing litter pans, sweeping and mopping the floors, cleaning cages, and feeding the animals. We most need volunteers who are willing to commit to one morning shift per month.
- Foster Homes: They need foster homes for special needs animals. Typically, special needs animals include shy or aggressive animals and animals with health and/or behavioral issues. Foster homes provide a safe place for animals to heal and to learn to trust people. The amount of time and type of care can vary.
- Laundry: They generate 6-10 loads of laundry a week. We need volunteers to do laundry, fold and put away clean laundry. Taking home one bag of laundry a week would really help the shelter.
- Special Events: They need responsible volunteers to represent the BHRR at adoption events, educational events, fundraising and public events. Special events volunteers must be willing to respect the policies of BHRR. Most special events take place in the evenings or on the weekends.
- Special Projects: They need responsible, self-motivated volunteers to take on a variety of projects, such as: helping solicit donations, building our donor base, recruiting volunteers, helping with the newsletter, and/or assisting with ongoing fundraising efforts. Hours are flexible.
- Transportation: They need volunteers with valid Arizona driver’s licenses and reliable cars. Volunteers will accompany shelter animals to scheduled veterinary appointments. Also volunteers will do animal drop-off and pick-up from a spay/neuter clinic. Some volunteers will also be asked to be on call in case of emergency. The busiest times for drivers are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Aside from volunteering, community members may also donate financially via PayPal.
They can be found at 4644 N. Cave Creek Rd., Phoenix, AZ 85022 (south of E. Greenway Road at E. Claire Dr.). They can also be reached at 602-482-3990. For more information regarding this group, please visit their website at http://www.bhrabbitrescue.org.